Thursday, 1 July 2010

You never know what's gonna happen next!!!

For quite a while now I've had back problems and promised myself I would see the doctor this week!

Tuesday morning I phoned and got an 11.30am appointment! I got in to see the Dr at 11.50 and after chatting to him standing up cos I couldn't sit down, he examined me and made a phone call... anyway to cut a long story short... The doctor wanted to call an ambulance but I managed to persuade him that as Alun was only 10-15 minutes away he could take me there quicker than an ambulance! So he sent me to Weston General Hospital with an emergency letter for an MRI! as he suspected a condition called Cauda Equina Lesion - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauda_equina_syndrome) and should the condition be confirmed then I was to be transferred to Frenchay to see a specialist there! So after a thorough exam and no MRI, the doctor there then said she thought I had a case of severe sciatica and wouldn't need an MRI immediately but prescribed Tramadol, Diazepam and Co-codamol and told me that I would be called for an MRI within the next few weeks and to not drive until the condition had been confirmed either way!!! So at present I am confined to home. Bed is the only comfortable place for me as I can lay flat and even then I am still experiencing some breakthrough pains, pins and needles and numbness down my left leg, across my lower back and sometimes down my right leg! I was told that should the leg go 'dead' or experience continence problems then to call an ambulance to take me straight to hospital!!!

I want to thank Alun for being my absolute rock, my sister Amanda for dropping everything and coming over to collect the kids from school and looking after them til we got back and to Vicki for directing Amanda to the right classes and to Heather for being my emotional crutch and Linda too, for listening to me babble away on the phone. My fabulous parents in law, John and Irene too, you are all such wonderful people I am lucky to have in my life and I love you all dearly and of course not forgetting the twilight addicts on uks...Thanks ladies

xxxxx

Lisa

2 comments:

Alison said...

I can only hope that it doesn't prove to be the Cauda syndrome. It does prove who is meaningful in your life and who really cares when they rally around at this time. I shall send prayers to whatever I believe in that all will be well and you get the medical treatment you need to make a full recovery.

KraftyKaren said...

Sending you heaps of hugs Lisa and praying that it is just sciatica and not the other thingy. Sciatica is a real pain in the butt (I suffer with it from time to time) but is better than the other condition.

We need you fighting fit for next Feb so take care and do as you are told. I am so glad that you have good people around you at a time like this.

(((((((hugs))))))))
Karen xxx